Vegan Sausage Rolls
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 50 Minutes
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, cruhed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped sage leaves
- 1 tbsp brown rice miso
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 30g chestnuts, finely chopped
- 70g white breadcrumbs
- 1 x 320g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- Plain flour, for dusting
- Dairy-free milk, to glaze
Tip the mushrooms into a food processor and pulse until they are very finely chopped. Put half the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the leeks along with a pinch of salt and fry gently for 15 mins or until softened and golden brown. Scrape the leeks out of the pan, into a bowl, and set them aside to cool a little.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and fry the mushrooms for 10 mins over a medium heat. Add the garlic, sage, miso, and mustard, and fry for a further minute. Leave to cool slightly.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Tip the mushroom mixture into the bowl with the leeks, then add the chestnuts and breadcrumbs. Season, then mix everything together until you have a slightly stiff mixture.
- Unravel the pastry on a floured surface, then roll the pastry out so that one side measures 43 cm. Mould the mushroom and leek mixture into a sausage shape down the centre of the pastry, then bring the pastry up around the filling and seal along the seam with a fork. Cut into ten pieces. Lay on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush each piece with milk. Bake for 25 mins or until deep, golden brown. Leave to cool a little and sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving.
Credit: Esther Clark