4 min read
Impress Dad away this Father’s Day with homemade bagels, baked with love. Make a big batch and then you can freeze them for up to 3 months, so you can enjoy anytime! Dad will love them best with smoked salmon, cream cheese, chives, capers, and red onion.
Preparation Time: 2 Hours (+ Proving Time)
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
- 360ml warm water (approx 40°C)
- 2¾ tsp instant yeast
- 500g bread flour
- 1 tbsp granulated brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 60g honey
- To prepare the dough, whisk together the warm water and yeast. For the best results, do this using your stand mixer with the dough hook attachment.
- Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, brown sugar, salt into the bowl and beat lightly (or on a low speed) for 2 minutes. The dough should look stiff and almost dry.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough with your hands for 4-5 minutes.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with oil and place the dough in the bowl, turning it to coat all sides in the oil.
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 1 hour 30 minutes – it should double in size.
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- To shape the bagels, remove the dough from the bowl and punch it down to release any air bubbles.
- Divide the dough into 8 sections and shape each piece into a ball.
- Using your finger, press through the centre of each ball to make a hole. It should be about 2 inches in diameter.
- Cover the bagels with a tea towel and allow to rest for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the egg wash by lightly beating the egg in a bowl with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to boil and whisk in the honey.
- Drop the bagels in 2 at a time, making sure they have room to float around. Cook for 1 minute on each side.
- Brush the egg wash (or water) on top of each bagel and around the sides. Transfer to a baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are dark golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray for 20 minutes then transfer to a wire rack.
- You can store baked bagels in the fridge for up to a week and they freeze perfectly for 3 months – allow them to thaw overnight in the fridge then warm to your liking and enjoy!