Making the most of your freezer is more important than ever. One great tip is to batch cook a basic sauce and freeze into bags, tugs etc. This can then be used for various different meal bases, for those evenings when you just need a quick and easy dinner.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Place the tomatoes onto a tray and dot the garlic cloves amongst the tomatoes. Sprinkle over the thyme, salt and pepper and pop the tray into the oven.
3. Roast for 30 minutes until the tomatoes are starting to colour and caramelise. Set aside for just a minute. Using a liquidiser, blend everything, including the fresh basil, until really smooth.
4. Using a sieve, pour the tomato mixture into a pan. Using the back of a ladle, push through the mixture, being sure not to waste any of the beautiful sauce.
5. Once you’ve finished sieving, give it a good stir and taste it to check the seasoning. Pop it back on the heat and add seasoning to your taste. Add more chopped basil at this stage too if you wish. This can then be bagged or tubbed and frozen. Remove the night before, ready for use the next day.
A classic dish using this sauce base is Papa Pomodoro, easy to do and ultra-tasty!
Simply cook some spaghetti and drain, then stir in this amazing tomato sauce. Drench in grated pecorino cheese and enjoy immediately!
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 45 Minutes
Tomatoes – any shape, any amount – the riper the better
Handful of fresh or dried thyme
4 garlic cloves
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Handful of fresh basil