1. Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
2. Beat together 225g softened unsalted butter and 225g caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
3. Sift in 225g self-raising flour, then add the finely grated zest of 1 lemon and mix until well combined.
4. Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.
5. Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
6. While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the juice of 1 ½ lemons and 85g caster sugar to make the drizzle.
7. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
8. Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
Credit: Tana Ramsey
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 45 Minutes
225g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
finely grated zest 1 lemon
For the drizzle:
juice 1½ lemons
85g caster sugar